Washing Machine Buying Guide
Choosing the best washing is not always easy, with the different types of washing machines available in the market. In this arcticle "washing machine buying guide", we will help you with all aspects of washing machines.
What is a Washing Machine? And why should we use it?
Types of washing machines –
- Semi automatic washing machine
- Fully automatic washing machine
- Top Loader Washing Machine
- Front Loader Washing machine
Semi-Automatic Vs Fully-Automatic Washing Machine
|Semi Automatic Washing Machine||Fully Automatic Washing Machine|
|More manual work||No manual work, it saves lot of time.|
|Requires less water (But need to monitor manually)|
Electricity efficient. But there should be proper earthed electricity connection, otherwise sometime can gives electric shock.
|Takes more water (It will controls water flow automatically)|
Requires more electricity than the semi-automatic washing machine.
|Requires more space - Separate tub for washer and dryer.||Requires less space - Single tub to perform wash, rinse and dry.|
|Maximum 3 wash programs||More wash programs than semi-automatic|
|Need to manually shift the clothes from washer to dryer.||Performs Wash, Drain and rinse automatically.|
|Can add/remove wash during the mid wash cycle||Can’t add/remove wash during the mid wash cycle (in Front loader)|
|No installation Required||It requires technician to install the machine.|
|No Advance features available.||Advanced features like ( Child Lock, In-built heater, many wash programs, quick wash etc) available.|
|Costs from 6000 to 15000 INR.||Costs from 14000 to 50000 INR.|
Semi Automatic Washing Machines
These are basic entry-level machines. It has two separate tubs for washing and drying. To wash your clothes you should first fill the washing-tub with water. Then put your clothes for washing and select the wash mode. Once washing finished, you have to manually shift the clothes into drying-tub. It needs more manual effort than a fully automatic washing machine.
- Entry-level so less expensive. A semi-automatic washing machine can range from 6000 to 13000rs in India.
- It doesn’t requires a fixed water connection, you can fill the tub with a bucket.
- It consumes less electricity and water. You can control water as per load, because water is added manually here. Also, you can use the rinse water in our next wash.
- Can add or remove laundry during the wash cycle.
- It requires more manual work. If you are suffering from back pain then it is not good for you.
- It requires more space as of fully automatic washing machine. Because of two separate tubs.
You can check some of the Best Semi Automatic washing machines here.
How to use Semi-Automatic Washing machine - User Guide (English & Hindi)
Fully-Automatic washing machine
- Top Loader Fully Automatic Washing Machine
- Front Loader Fully Automatic Washing Machine
Top loader washing machine -
In top loader machine, the washing tub is vertically aligned. You will load clothes from the top. It has a continuous water supply and it will select water whenever required. The top loader washing machine uses two types of devices Agitators and Impellers. By these devices, the top loader washing machine moves clothes during the wash cycles.
Agitator & Impeller in Top Loader washing machine buying guide
In an agitator washing machine, there is a central pole. It twists back and forth, rubbing against clothes.
It makes direct physical contact with your clothes. And rubs itself against the clothes to make them clean.
Top Loader Washing Machine with Impeller:-
Advantages of top-loading washing machine
- Top loader washing machines are cost-effective. They are fully automatic and also the price is lesser than the front loader washing machine. Top loader washing machine in India costs from 15000 to 25000. As compared to semi-automatic machines, top-load machines are 5000-10000 costlier. But they have many advanced features and no manual work required. These features will outweigh the lesser cost of the semi-automatic washing machine.
- Loading and unloading are also easy in the top loader washing machine. So if you are suffering from back pain, then it is best for you.
- Also, many top loader machines give you 10+ wash programs for different types of fabrics.
Front loading washing machine
Front loader washing machines, as the name suggests, you can load & unload cloths from the front. Their drum sits horizontally and is bigger than top loader washing machine. They don't have any agitators or impellers like a top loader. Here the drum rotates and picks up your clothes and dropping them into soapy water. It rubs the clothes against each other to give a perfect wash. They are very gentle on your clothes. It has a water jet spray which soaks the clothes. It requires less water than of top loader because the drum doesn't need to be fully submerged.
- Better washing than a top loader.
- Energy and water-efficient.
- Very gentle on clothes. Most recommended for delicate clothes
- More wash programs and temperature options.
- Can’t add/remove wash during the mid wash cycle
- Expensive than top loader (Costs around 25000 to 50000 Indian rupees)
- Heavier (difficult to move around)
- Takes more for wash than of others.
Please check some of best Front Loader Washing Machines here.
Comparison - Top Loader Vs Front Loader
|Front Loader Washing machine||Top loader Washing Machine|
|Structure||- The tub sits horizontally and the electric motor sits back of it.|
- Clothes are loaded from the front.
|- The tub sits vertically with electric motor beneath the tub. |
- Clothes are loaded from the top.
|Water efficiency||- Need less water, as clothes don’t need to be submerged in water. |
- To rinse clothes, it uses water jet spray, so less water required to rinse.
|- Need more water, as the clothes need to be submerged inside water.|
- To rinse clothes, it needs to fill the tub to cover all clothes.
|Energy Efficiency||More energy efficient- It runs for a long time but on slow spin speed.||Less energy-efficient as it runs on high spin speed.|
|Washing Capacity||More drum capacity than a top loader||Less capacity as it has agitators and also the electric motor is just beneath of drum.|
|Properties||- It is more gentle on clothes|
- Less comfortable to load/ unload if you have back pain.
- Can't add clothes once the wash cycle starts
|- It uses agitator or impeller or pulsator, which acts tough on clothes.|
- More comfortable to load/ unload clothes.
- Can add clothes between.
|Price||Expensive – Ranges from 25000 to 50000 Indian rupees||Less Expensive – Ranges from 14000 to 25000 Indian rupees|
Washing Machine Features -
- Quick wash – It gives you the facility to wash your laundry quickly. This feature is present in most of the fully automatic washing machines. Whenever we running out of time and in a hurry, it is very helpful. Depend on machines it can wash and dry your clothes in 15 to 30 minutes.
- Fuzzy logic – Fuzzy logic is present in most of the fully automatic washing machines. It uses modern artificial intelligence and has many inbuilt sensors. It controls wash time & cycle, water intake, water temperature, spin and rinse speed. In modern machine fuzzy login senses the load and recommends the detergent based on that. It corrects the load imbalances restart the machine.
Each washing machine manufacturer has its own defined sensors and fuzzy logics. There is not a definite process to activate the fuzzy login on the washing machine. Whenever you load clothes into the washing machine and start the wash program. The fuzzy logic activates & controls the further process based on the wash program.
Delay start –This feature is very helpful when you want to schedule your wash as per convenience. In India, people like to soak clothes their into the detergent solution for some time. It helps to get rid of tough stains easily. Also sometimes you want to load laundry at night and complete it by morning. Then the delay start will be helpful in these conditions.
- Steam Wash – Some of the expensive washing machines are inbuilt with steam wash. Steam wash uses water steam to wash your clothes. It produces heat and humidity inside the drum, and forcibly passes steam into clothes. It helps to remove the toughest stains and keeps your clothes odour free.
- Revolution Per Minutes (RPM Speed) – It is capacity by which the washing machine drum can spin in a minute. The higher number means the washing machine is more powerful. A higher number will quickly squeeze water from the clothes and gives you better drying. You can adjust the RPM based on the clothes.
- Temperature Control – This feature will enable you with both cold and hot water wash. The cold water wash will save energy while hot water wash will help to remove heavily soiled clothes. Some washing machines are intelligent enough and they control water temperature by own.
- Drum Clean – This special feature cleans the drum. It removes traces of detergent, mould and dirt from inside of the drum/tub.
10 important Factors - Washing Machine buying guide
Every washing machine has its unique features but some of the features are commons among all washing machines. In this washing machine guide, we will discuss 10 important factors one by one. Please read this washing machine buying guide before buying any washing machines.
1. Washing machine capacity – It is measured by the amount of laundry it can wash in one cycle. If the drum is not filled up to its capacity then it will waste both electricity and water. Also you should fill the drum space up to 75% for best washing result.
So you should consider numbers of person in your family and also the frequency of your washing. This washing machine buying guide will give you a rough idea with the quantity and type of clothes in one load.
Washing Machine Capacity:
|Capacity||Number of Clothes||Ideal Family size|
|6kg - 6.5kg||1 bed sheet|
2 small towels
|Bachelors and Couple|
1 bed sheet
2 small towels
|Ideal for 3-4 Members Family|
3 small towels
|Ideal for 4-5 Members Family|
|10kg and more||3 shirts|
6 small towels
|Big Indian family with 5 plus members.|
2. Drum/Tub Material – Washing machine drums are used to load and wash your clothes. They are made of either steel or plastic. The stainless-steel drum is best in washing machines. They are long-lasting and gives a higher spin speed than plastic. Although plastic tubs are also durable and rustproof.
3. Wash Cycle. – These are various wash programs by which your washing machine performs its job. You can even customise and save your favourite wash programs.
Common Wash cycles of washing machines -
- Regular, normal or cotton – Removes stains and dirt from your daily fabrics. It is for cotton, linens, bedsheets, towels, shirts, jeans underwear, socks etc.
- Delicate or hand wash – Gently cleans your delicate items. It is beneficial for Silk, wool or anything that has a gentle wash on the tag.
- Fast or Quick wash Cycle – It is for a small amount of lightly soiled garments. The load amount is generally less for this kind wash cycle. It has a faster spin speed, that wash and dries quickly. It is of generally a 30 minutes cycle.
- 15’ Quick Wash – It also gives the same feature as Quick wash. Here wash cycle runs for 15 minutes and take up to 2 kg load.
- Outdoor or Sport Cycle. – The fabrics like breathable, waterproof or windproof can be washed with this program. It doesn’t damage the fabric. If a washing machine does not have this program, then delicate or hand wash can be used.
- Permanent Press / Synthetics Cycle – This is the milder version of cotton or regular wash cycle. It washes on a lower temperature than of normal wash. It washes your cloth gently and makes them wrinkle-free. The same feature is available in the colour wash cycle for some machines.
Wool Cycle –
It is for woollen garments. Generally, for these programs, the load is very less around 2kg. It applies gentle cradle actions and washes on lower water temperature.
- Steam modes – Some of the high range washing machines have this feature of steam wash. It removes bad odour and kills the bacteria from clothes.
- Rinse and Spin – It is used when you only want to rinse but not wash your clothes.
- Baby Care – This wash cycle ensures that no detergent residue left on your clothes. It washes on high temperate and also with extra rinse cycles. It ensures that your baby clothes become odour, bacteria and detergent free.
4. RPM (Revolution Per Minute) – The higher the RPM the faster the drying of clothes.
- Cold: It uses cold water to wash your clothes. It is for those items which might shrink or leave dye. Also, it is for delicate, dark and bright fabrics.
- Warm: This is for jeans, bed sheet, knits, towels, cotton and linens.
- Hot: It uses hot water to wash your clothes. It removes detergent residues, odour and bacteria from clothes. Hot wash helps to remove hard stains. But, the extra hot water could shrink, damage or fade some fabrics types.
6. Energy Saving –
you should select the most energy-efficient washing machine. Every electronics appliances have their energy rating. It varies from 1 -5 stars. Along with selecting the star for energy efficiency. You should also follow some basic practices which will help you to reduce the energy cost.
- Try to use cold water to wash your load ( It need extra energy to heat the water)
- Washing a full load will help to utilities water and energy efficiently.
- Try to use the lowest water level as per load.
7. Time delay and pre-soak feature. – Time delay is very helpful when you want to customise your washing time. You can delay your washing up to 0 to 24 hours. While pre-soak soaks your clothes into the detergent solution for some time. It helps to remove the tough stains.
8. Warranty – The washing machines are not cheap appliances. You should always check and go for a better warranty.
9. After-sale services – If the after-sale service is not good, then it will give you pain. Many big brands give free installation and better after-sale service.
10. Other Factors – Along with these budget is also an important factor to consider. Please check out some of the best budget washing machines available in India.
Final Thoughts -
Every washing machine brands have their own specific technologies and feature. Like samsung provides bubble wash and LG gives punch+ 3 with direct drive technologies. Please read in details about their specific technologies and features with some of their top selling washing machines here.
- LG – Features and Technologies
- SAMSUNG – Features and Technologies
- IFB Features and Technologies
- BOSCH Features and Technologies
- Whirlpool Features and Technologies
- Godrej Features and Technologies