Best Air Purifier in India 2020 - Review & Buyer's Guide
The main issue with Air purifiers is that people are still not fully aware of it. They are still thinking Air purifiers as a luxury rather an essential home appliance. Many of us are still not aware of indoor air pollution. We spend most of the day under the roof. Air purifiers became one of the essential appliances for the home, offices as well as in schools. It simply purifies the indoor air by eliminating various pollutants.
You should buy an air purifier for the following reasons and as per your need –
- An Air purifier traps PM2.5 as well as PM10 particles.
- An air purifier removes 99% bacteria, fungi as well as viruses. It removes harmful gases and VOCs. It also traps ground-level ozone.
- Allergies – If any of your family members have allergies then an air purifier can help them. They have many filters which remove indoor allergens.
- Asthma – Generally asthma or its symptoms triggered by odour and chemical pollutants. An air purifier contains a HEPA filter along with odour and chemical filtrations. Which helps to remove all allergens and odours from your home.
- Smoke – Indoor smoke released from smoking, fireplace soot, fuels, incense stick, mosquito coils and many more. The best air purifier in India removes bad odour as well as neutralises smoke.
- Pets – An air purifier traps airborne allergens released by pets. It can remove pet dander, odours as well as their dead hair.
- Chemical Sensitivities – If you are very sensitive to chemicals and its odour. Then you should choose a purifier which has chemical filtration.
If you are planning to buy the best air purifier in India. Then you should read our Air Purifier Buying Guide at the end of this article.
Top 10 Best Air Purifier in India -
Best CAR Air Purifier
Video - Honeywell Move Pure Car Air Purifier
- This is the best car air purifier in India specially designed by Honeywell.
- It has a High-grade HEPA filter which helps to remove PM2.5, dust as well as other pollutants.
- It also has a double-layer active carbon filter. Due to which it removes VOCs, formaldehyde, cigarette smoke, bacteria, virus, toxic gases and odour.
- Model No – Honeywell – Move Pure2
- ASIN: B07D6QC74V
- Purification method – High-grade HEPA and also double-layer active carbon filter
- Colour – Black
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 14.2 x 5.7 cm while weight is 980 gm
- Power Consumption: 12v DC and also 6w-8w consumption.
Noise: <= 52 DB
- The High-grade HEPA filter helps to remove PM2.5, dust and also other pollutants.
- The double-layer active carbon filter removes VOCs, formaldehyde, smoke, bacteria, virus and also bad odour.
- This will help your car completely ozone free and also doesn’t release any ions.
- It gives powerful performance with cadr of 15 cu.M/hr. This air purifier is ideal for all kinds of cars from small to SUVs.
- It has a long filter life of 360 hours. If you use your car for 2-3 hours daily then it will last for 6 months.
- The touch screen button will give you a comfortable operation.
- It has also an in-built filter replacement indicator, which guides you when to replace the filter.
- Low noise of <= 52 DB for soundless operation.
- It is very energy efficient with power usages of 12v DC and also 6w-8w consumption.
- Dual Fan Design with 2 fan speed modes so that you will get the highest level of purified air.
- It has an Air Quality Indicator, which keeps you aware of air pollution inside your car. You can see the magic, as soon as the air purifier on the AQI comes to a healthier level.
- It will clean the car air in 10 minutes as soon as it is on.
- You can mount it on the car dashboard, on the seat, below the seat as well as on the rear parcel tray. This is the Best Air Purifier in India for the car.
Warranty: 1 years
- Sleek as well as Intuitive Design.
- Long filter life of up to 360 hours.
- It has Multi-Layer Integrated Filtration with High-grade HEPA.
- Double layer activated carbon filter so removes any bad odours.
- DIY Operation and also Easy Filter Replacement
- Air Quality Indicator so you will get real-time air quality.
- Dual Fan Design and also no need for any air freshener.
- Bit expressive but worth for money
- There may some side effect like Nausea, Throat irritation or Headache for some people. But this is on rare occasion.
Best Air Purifier for Home, Offices & School
Top 3 Best Air Purifier in India under ₹ 10000
- This Air Purifier removes up to 99.97% airborne pollutants and also removes 99.90% bacteria & viruses. It is also capable of removing airborne H1N1 virus. It also removes nano-sized particles as small as 0.003 microns ie 800 times smaller than PM2.5.
- This Air Purifier has 4 Stage Filtration process as well as 4-colour air quality indicator for real-time air quality feedback.
- It is perfect for medium-sized rooms with an area up to 226-333 sq ft. It is one of the Best Air Purifier in India under 10k.
- Model No – AC1215/20
- ASIN: B01L6MT7E0
- Colour – White
- Product Dimensions: 32.5 x 54.1 x 21.1 cm while weight is 7.04Kg
Coverage area: 226-333 sq ft.
- This air purifier has a Vita shield Intelligent purification system which senses air quality.
- The smart air sensor senses and detect nano-sized particles up to 0.003 microns which are 800 times smaller than PM2.5. It also eliminates harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC.
- Its aerodynamic design and Nano Protect Pro Filter boosts the clean air delivery rate up to 270 m3/hr.
- This Air purifier purifies a standard room of 18ft x 12ft x 8ft in just 12 minutes. The recommended room size is the medium room with an area up to 226-333 sq ft.
- Its night sensing mode is perfect for your bedroom. It prepares your bedroom air for sleep and also monitors your bedroom air quality, makes it clean while you sleep.
- The 4 Stage Filtration process through pre-filter, activated carbon filter and also double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter.
- It is allergy-friendly quality is tested by ECARF and removes 99.99% pollen as well as house dust mites. It has 100% Ozone free filtration.
- The healthy air protects alert you about the time to replace the filter.
- It has a 4-colour ring air quality indicator on the dashboard which gives you real-time air quality feedback. The blue colour indicates about good allergen & particle level. While the red colour bad allergen & particle level.
- Product Warranty – 2 years. 2 + 3 years extended warranty worth INR 3000 FREE while on product registration.
Visit Philips Official Website for more details.
- Better support and quality as Philips is known for manufacturing best Air purifier in India.
- 3 auto modes: General, Allergen, and also Night Sense.
- 4 manual settings, including turbo speed
- Low energy consumption so very efficient.
- Nice panel for controlling the machine
- Lesser noise due to its night sensing mode
- Certified or tested by ECARF and Airmid
- Real-Time Air Quality Feedback
- Healthy air protect so it will alert about time to change the filter
- No wall mounting
- No remote control
- The machine may go into night mode during the daytime if there is low light.
- This Air purifier from MI has HEPA filter due to which it removes 99.97% of pollutants up to 0.3 microns.
- It has smart app control which can even work with Amazon Alexa and also Google assistance.
- It has 3 layer filtration and 360 degrees Air intake so gives clean air across the room.
- This is budget-friendly best air purifier in India and comes under 10k.
- Model No – AC-M6-SC
- ASIN: B0811VCGL5
- Purification method – True HEPA Filter
- Product Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 52 cm while weight is 4.8 Kg
- Filter Indicator Supply: 230 Volts, 50/60 Hz Power Consumption: 38 Watts. and also High CADR of 380 m3/h
Colour – White
- It has an ultra-clear OLED display along with touch control panel. You can also control it via its smart phone app.
- The OLED touch Display shows real-time PM2.5 concentration, Temperature as well as humidity. It will also display the Wi-Fi connection and Working mode.
- This mi Air purifier is quiet and also energy-efficient.
- It has a true HEPA filter with a filtration efficiency of 99.97% for particle size up to 0.3 microns.
- This can work with Google Assistant as well as Amazon Alexa.
- It has 360 Degree Air intake with 3 Layer Filtration.
- It has an effective coverage area up to 484 sqft so it is ideal for medium bedroom and living room.
- You can easily change its filter.
- Warranty – 1-year warranty from date of purchase on the main device (excluding the filter)
- Easy to install as well as lift and move.
- Its elegant design will nicely blend with the room interior.
- It has High CADR of 380 m3/h.
- very silent operation and also Laser Particle sensor.
- Works with voice assistants Amazon Alexa and also Google Assistant.
- Air Quality indicator
- Clean Air across the room
- It will give 6333 litres of clean air per minutes.
- child lock
- The supplied cable is too short.
- Bit Noisy in manual mode and also at full fan speed.
- The Mi Air Purifier 2C removes 99.97% of particles of size up to 0.3 microns. It has 360 Degree Air Intake for efficient filtration as well as the distribution of pure air throughout the room.
- One button control for easy operation and also has a DIY (Do It Yourself) Filter change facility.
- It is ideal for the small and medium-size bedroom as well as a small living room.
- Model No – AC-M8-SC
- ASIN: B07YTZ7NCH
- Purification method – HEPA Filter
- Colour – White
- Perfect for bedroom and also living room.
Area Covered (Sq Ft) – 452
- It has True HEPA Filter with a filtration efficiency of 99.97% so filters particle of size up to 0.3 microns.
- It gives you 360 Degree Air Intake due to which you will get pure air throughout the room.
- The CADR of this Mi air purifier is 350 m3/h.
- It has an effective Coverage Area of up to 452 Sqft so ideal for bedrooms and living rooms.
- It has different colours to show real-time air quality. The Red indicates worst while green indicates the pure air quality.
- DIY (Do It Yourself) Filter change
- It has one-button control so it is easy to operate.
- This Mi 2C air purifier has a more powerful exhaust type fan with CADR of 350 m3/hr than that of Mi 2S air purifier.
- It has an infrared sensor for identifying the pollution level and particle concentration.
- This is as the best air purifier in India, which costs you around ₹6500.
Warranty – 1 year
- It is easy to set up, plug & play.
- Very energy-efficient because of its power consumption of 33W.
- light indicators so display air quality (Red for worst while Green for Pure).
- HEPA Filter so removes 99.97% pollutants.
- No carbon filter – But when you replace you can install a 3in1 Carbon filter as well.
Note – A Carbon Filter helps to clean bad odours from the room.
- It doesn’t have a Laser sensor only infrared so the pollution level accuracy is not that accurate.
- No app integration as well as no WiFi.
- No numerical pm2.5 indicator.
Top 3 best Air Purifier in India below ₹ 20000
- Coway Air purifier is a renowned Korean brand.
- It has 3 stages filtration due to which it cleans heavy dust particles to PM2.5.
- It also removes bad odour from the air.
- This air purifier is most suitable for Large Bedroom, Kitchen, Drawing Room while the coverage area: 355 sq. ft / 33 sq. m.
- The Air Quality indicator senses the level of indoor pollution so maintain the clean air.
- Model No – AP-1009 Sleek Pro Air Purifier
- ASIN: B07JZ94F9C
- Purification method – 360° Glass HEPA Filter
- Colour – White
- Product Dimensions: 34.5 x 25.5 x 62 cm while weight is 7.5 Kg
- Ideal for master bedroom and also a large living room.
- Filter Indicator Supply: 230 Volts, 50 Hz. Power Consumption: 38 Watts.
Noise: 22-49 dB
- 3 Stage Filtration includes- 1) Pre Filter for larger dust as well as heavy particles. 2) Patented Urethane Carbon Filter to deodorize the air and also removes bad odour. 3) Multi-Layer HEPA filter effectively traps PM2.5 particles so only allow the clean air to pass.
- Excellent coverage area with 355 sq ft, so it is perfect for Large Bedroom, Kitchen, Drawing Room and office.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) – 303 cubic m/hr. CADR is the amount of purified air which air purifier purifies in an hour.
- Air Purifying Method: HEPA Technology
- The auto Mode optimizes Air Quality using specialized dust sensors and also keeps the air clean.
- One-Touch AirSpeed Adjustment – Four Speed Steps (1-3 level and also Turbo mode).
- It has real-time Air Quality Indicator – Clean, Low Pollution, Medium Pollution and also High Pollution.
- This air purifier has the longest HEPA Filter Life: 8500 hours.
- Warranty: 3 years on air purifier motor and 1 year on electrical parts
- Sleek and Intuitive Design.
- Super Silent Operation and also Automatic airflow control
- It has a Long Filter life of 8500 hours.
- Air Quality Indicator
- HEPA Technology
- It has Deodorization filter and Urethane Carbon filter so removes bad odours.
- The Pre Filter removes the Dust, Human hair as well as pet fur
- Green Anti-flu HEPA filter so it will remove smokes, viruses, germs and micro dust.
- Dust Sensing technology
- AQI or numerical indicator is missing
- It is Bit Expensive than Philips & MI
- Model No – AC2887/20
- ASIN: B01KCSGBU2
- Purification method – High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestant (HEPA) filter type
- Colour – White
- Sound level : 20.5-51 dB(A); Frequency: 50/60 Hz; Power: 11~60 W; Voltage: 220 V
- Product Dimensions: 24 x 35.9 x 55.8 cm while weight is 7.7 Kg
- Perfect for master bedroom and also a large living room.
Coverage area: 441 sq. ft indeed.
- It can remove ultra-fine particles as small as 20nm, and also reduce harmful gases.
- Air quality sensor Aera Sense PM2.5 Sensor Technology. – It senses and identifies fine particles even smaller than PM2.5.
- It has 3 automatic purification settings for optimum freshness. The General mode for normal purification while Allergen mode for extra-sensitive allergens. It has a powerful third mode for removing bacteria as well as virus.
- Very low sound level (20.5 – 51 dB) – When you enable silent mode, it turns down its fan speed and also reduces its noise level. It is as low and soft as a whisper so gives you a peaceful sleep.
- Smart light control adjusts its light for better sleep.
- Healthy Air Protect – It alerts you when to replace the filter so that the indoor air always be pure.
- Vita Shield IPS technology. – It has an aerodynamic design which delivers high clean air every hour. It naturally purifies Ultra Fine Particle as small as 0.02microns.
- Nano Protect Filter removes ultra-fine particles & reduces harmful gases. It also kills 99.9% of bacteria.
- Warranty – 2 years on product
- For product and support inquiry you can contact Philips. Visit Philips Official Website for more details.
- Sleep Mode – gives Low noise levels as well as turn off the light for sound sleep.
- Premium look while easy to carry and install
- Allergen, Bacteria & Virus Mode
- Aerodynamic Design
- Nano Protect Filter
- Air quality sensor
- Identifies particles even smaller than PM2.5
- Healthy Air Protect so ensures pure air always.
- No child lock
- No wall mounting
- Filters are expensive and need to replace once it starts giving a bad smell.
- Model No – BP01
- ASIN: B07RZ2CF1F
- Colour – Black and also in the Nickel variant
- Product Dimensions: 24.5 x 24.5 x 40.1 cm while weight is 2.8 Kg
- Perfect for small bedroom and also a small living room or office cabin.
- Works as both Air purifier and also as a cooling fan. More efficient than a traditional desktop fan so gives cool air.
- It has 360° Glass HEPA Filter and Activated Carbon Filter so it captures 99.95% of allergens and bacteria. It also captures harmful gases and ultrafine particles as small as PM0.1 from the air.
- With a small base so that it can adjust anywhere you want.
- Very energy-efficient and perfect for personal spaces and also small size rooms.
- It is certified for Asthma as well as Allergy Friendly by AAFA.
- Easy filter change notification displays on the screen.
- This air purifier and fan use Dyson Core Flow technology. It gives high-velocity air jets over a convex surface. It also combines the air to project a focused stream of purified air.
- You can control and direct the purified airflow where you want with your fingertips.
- It has smooth oscillation due to which you can set your machine to rotate from side to side. By this, it delivers purified airflow through a wide 70˚ range.
- With its sleep timer, you can set the timer between 30 min to 8 hours so it gives comfortable sleep.
- The LCD screen provides a view of airflow speed, modes and also the filter life.
- It has a remote control which is magnetized so that you can easily place it near the machine. Remote has ten precise airflow settings for better air purification.
- Warranty – 2 years international warranty on the product
- You can Contact Dyson on  for support
- It is portable as well as easy to install.
- Sleep timer for comfortable as well as noiseless sleep
- Easy filter replacement notification on the LCD screen
- Remote control with 10 precise airflow speed settings.
- Available in two colours Black as well as Nickel.
- A bit pricey compared to others.
- Not suitable for big rooms
The same Dyson Air purifier is also available in white colour. This is the best Tower Air purifier in India. It gives you cool clean air with its fan.
Top 3 best Air Purifier in India Above ₹ 20000
- This Dyson Air Purifier removes 99.95% allergens & pollutants as small as PM 0.1.
- It also removes dust, pollen, mould, bacteria, pet dander, VOCs and other harmful gases.
- It has 360° Glass HEPA Filter and also Tris-coated Activated Carbon Filter.
- Dyson provides Link app for real-time air quality reports. It has WiFi so you can control it remotely with your smartphone.
- Model No – TP03 (Tower)
- ASIN: B078RBFG6G
- Purification method – 360° Glass HEPA Filter
- Colour – White and also in the Silver variant
- Product Dimensions: 20 x 18.5 x 102.2 cm while weight is 6.65 Kg
- Perfect for master bedroom and also a large living room.
Sound level: 42.3-64.4 dB(A)
- Its Intelligent Purification System helps to remove 99.95% of allergens & pollutants. It also removes small particles like PM 0.1 including dust, pollen, mould spores, bacteria, pet dander, VOCs.
- It also eliminates harmful gases as well as their bad odours.
- Air Multiplier technology so that it powerfully project the air throughout the room.
- Oscillation feature for circulating purified air evenly in the room.
- It has also a high-efficient VACUUM SEALED 360° H-13 Glass HEPA FIlter. Which captures the harmful ultra-fine pollutants inside the filter media. This filter is pleated over 200 times as well as densely packed with borosilicate microfibers.
- Dyson has a lower face velocity so it restricts pollutants from releasing back to the room.
- This air purifier has inbuilt WiFi so that you can control it with a smartphone. There is a Dyson Link app which gives real-time air quality reports.
- It has a magnetized remote control which is easy in docking.
- It is Certified for Asthma as well as Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America).
- The small footprint, as well as 360° air-intake, helps you to place it anywhere in the room.
- The second layer of Tris-coated activated carbon captures household odours as well as harmful toxins.
- Easy filter change with notification on the app so that you can replace the filter when required.
- Warranty –2 years on product
- Please Contact Dyson on: [ 18002586688 ] to avail Free Installation and also Setup services or for any other support
- Air Flow Level: 1300 CMH
- Dual functionality – Fan plus air purifier so gives pure cool air.
- WiFi-enabled and also a smartphone app to control remotely.
- Remote Control, App Control and an LCD Display
- Easy scheduling and also 10 air-speed settings.
- Auto mode, night-time mode as well as a sleep timer.
- It has an easy-to-clean aperture with no fast-spinning blades so it is safe for little fingers or paws.
- Quiet Mode Sound Level
- Cord length: 1.9m
- Takes a long time to clean the room so start it 1 hour before for fresh air.
- A bit pricey compared to others.
This is Dyson latest Tower Fan Air Purifier with advance technology. It has Wi-fi and Bluetooth connectivity. And also it comes in three different colour variants (Blue, Silver and Black). It is an upgraded version of TP03 and is costlier than it. This is the most advanced best Air Purifier in India.
- This Philips Air Purifier removes up to 99.97% of airborne pollutants as small as 0.003 microns. These pollutants are 800 times smaller than PM 2.5.
- It also removes up to 99.90% of bacteria and viruses.
- Its Vita Shield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality. It has a coverage area of 1108 sqft so it is ideal for living room or master bedroom.
- Model No – AC3257/20
- ASIN: B07JBC7CCP
- Purification method – AeraSense & VitaShield IPS
- Colour – White
- Perfect for master bedroom and also a large living room.
Area Covered (Sq Ft) – 1027
- VitaShield Intelligent purification removes 99.97% airborne pollutants. It also removes particles as small as of 800 times smaller than PM 2.5.
- This has a CADR of 397 m3 / hour so it purifies a standard room in just 8 minutes. It is ideal for a standard room size of 18 ft x 12 ft x 8 ft.
- This air purifier Ideal for living room/master bedroom, offices and also school.
- It tested to remove the H1N1 virus and also removes 99.90% of bacteria and viruses. Also, it removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites.
- It has an extra thick Nano Protect HEPA and AC filter. This is for superior purification efficiency and also lifetime against airborne particles.
- Allergen mode – Very effective in removing common airborne particles & allergens. Whenever it senses any change in air quality then it boosts its cleaning performance to remove allergens in the air.
- It also provides you with the assured protection from harmful gases like formaldehyde, toluene and TVOC.
- It has a 4-step colour AQI ring so it will provide you with real-time indoor air quality.
- In sleep mode, it turns down the fan speed and also noise level. It also turns off the light and gives you a comfortable sleep.
Special Allergy auto mode so removes allergens.
- Warranty – 2 years international warranty.
You can visit Philips Official Website for more details.
- Excellent Nano Protect Filter due to which it delivers all-around protection
- Special AL auto mode is more effective for allergen removal
- Long-life performance and also energy efficient
- It gives very silent operation along with 100 % ozone free protection.
- Real-time PM 2.5 feedback and also 4 colour AQI light.
- Healthy air protect alert for filter lifetime with accuracy
- Certified and tested by both ECARF and Airmid
- It has Sensor touch UI along with big numerical display
- Philips is famous for manufacturing the Best Air Purifier in India.
- No wall mounting
- The lint, hair and also fine particles are stuck in the pre-filter, so you have to clean it regularly.
- This Dyson Air purifier has WiFi, Bluetooth. It also has a smartphone APP with remote control.
- It senses & displays air quality levels on the LCD screen. You can also view this on the smartphone App.
- The 9 different sensors collect air quality data from every corner. It also tracks the relative humidity & temperature in the room.
- Model No – DP04
- ASIN: B07F7HHWQL
- Colour – White and also in the Silver variant
- Product Dimensions: 22.4 x 35 x 69.1 cm while weight is 3.1 Kg
- Perfect for medium size bedroom and also a small living room.
- It has WiFi, Bluetooth as well as smartphone APP. You will also get a remote control. It will display real-time Air Quality Index on the LCD screen and also on the smartphone.
- The smartphone app also provides more control of your machine. It gives information such as customizing the oscillation angle & setting purifying schedules. You will also get the record of indoor as well as outdoor air quality. Also, it displays the detailed information of captured pollutants.
- It has a 360 degrees vacuum-sealed Glass HEPA Filter. It also has a Tris Impregnated Activated Carbon Filter. These filters capture 99.95% of harmful ultra-fine pollutants as well as allergens PM 0.1. It also ensures these pollutants should not be released back into the room.
- It has 350 degrees oscillation which ensures proper circulation throughout the room. The oscillation angles are 45°, 90° to 350° so you will get clean air throughout the room. You can also personalize the angle using the Dyson Link App.
- Its small footprint allows you to place it anywhere in the room.
Air Multiplier technology delivers over 290 Ltr pure air per second.
- It has 9 sensors which collect air data from each corner of the room. These sensors also track relative humidity & temperature. It also removes harmful gases, VOC to keeps room air clean. The particle sensor uses laser measurement for PM concentration analysis.
- Comes with a magnetized remote control for easy docking on top of the machine.
- This Air Purifier comes with powerful Blade-less Fan. So that you will get clean air all around the room. It will give you cool clean air during the summer.
- It has a built-in notification for filter replacement on the LCD screen as well as on the mobile App.
- The night mode feature monitors as well as purifies the air during the night. It uses quietest settings, with a dimmed display for sound sleep.
- It is suitable for small to medium size rooms with a coverage area of up to 450 sq.ft.
- Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America)
- Warranty –2 years. Parts and Labour.
- For Free Installation and also support contact Dyson on: [ 18002586688 ]
- WiFi, Bluetooth, remote control and a smartphone App.
- Works as an Air purifier as well as cooler during summer.
- Low maintenance and easily changeable filters
- Sleep timer and an easy to clean aperture with no fast-spinning blades.
- Displays 24-hour AQI graph on the mobile screen.
10 air-speed settings
- Only cons is its price, but for these features it is worth.
Buyer's Guide - How to Choose Best Air Purifier in India
Common Air Pollutants -
Our air is forms of various gases, dust particles, smoke, moisture as well as pollutants. These pollutants are very harmful and enter into our body while smoking. An Air purifier cleans our air and removes up to 99% of these pollutants. Below is the list of some common Pollutants available in our environment.
- Airborne particles – Common pollutants are animal dander, spores, pollen, fungus, dust mites. These are very smaller in size and enter while breathing. To remove these an Air Purifier with HEPA filter is preferable.
- Indoor smoking – These are the prime indoor air polluter. Smoking affects both smokers and also passive non-smokers. It harms to the newborn baby as well as pregnant women.
- Harmful household gases. – Chemical cleaners, aerosol sprays, pesticides etc releases harmful toxins as well as gases. You should prefer a carbon activate Best Air purifier in India to remove these.
- Volatile Organic compounds (VOC). – These are available in household items like paints, adhesives, disinfectants. It releases harmful gases and also toxins which are not suitable for breathing.
- Particulate Matters – These are the matter impurities come in various sizes. PM2.5 is the most common harmful particulate matters available in Air. These matters having a diameter less than 2.5 micrometres and are not visible to the naked eye. Along with this PM10 is also harmful air pollutants. They are the byproduct of vehicular emission, industries, fuel-burning etc.
- Radon Gas – Radon is a radioactive gas which occurs naturally. It has no smell, colour or taste and also chemically inert. It is also difficult to recognize. Usually, these gases spread from radioactive decay of radium present in rocks as well as soils. Radom can escape from the ground into the air, it enters the body while we inhale.
Best Air Purifier Brands in India
There are almost 20+ Air purifier brands available in the market. But among these, some brand provides excellent filtration along with good customer services. If you are planning to buy Best Air purifier in India then Philips, Dyson, MI, Honeywell and Coway are the leading one.
For budget Air Purifier you can consider Philips and Mi. While Dyson & Philips has advanced Air purifiers. Dyson purifier has wifi & Bluetooth and also has a smartphone app to track real-time data.
How Does an Air Purifier Work?
An Air purifier has a series of steps to clean the air. It has internal fans to pull out the air from the room. Later it processes that air through a series of filter to remove dust particles, toxins, gases as well as pollen & bacteria. After cleaning it circulate back the clean air inside the room.
- Stage 1: PRE-Filter – It is the first-line defence and removes the dust & mould particles. It protects as well as decreases the pressure on the second and third filters.
- Stage 2 – Allergy Filter It absorbs and decomposes the allergens present in the air.
- Stage 3 – Deodorization Filter It is made of activated carbon and filters gases as well as VOC’s from the air. It eliminates the bad odours from the air and keeps your air fresh.
- Stage 4 – HEPA Filter – HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air. It provides strong filtration for bacteria as well as viruses. This stage removes most of the pollutants. It also removes ozone as well as HINI viruses in just 5 minutes. It is two type either True HEPA or a HEPA filter. True HEPA air purifiers capture up to 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. While a purifier with a HEPA Type filter is capable of capturing 99% of particles.
Video - How Air Purifiers Work?
Types of Air Purifiers (Air Purifier Filtration Technology)
- HEPA Filteration –HEPA which stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. It is capable of capturing 99.9% of air pollutants such as bacteria, viruses, bacteria as well as toxins. It will also remove H1N1 viruses. The only constraint of HEPA, it does not remove foul odours. You need a carbon activated filter along with HEPA to remove odours.
- Activated Carbon Filteration. – It is made of porous material & absorbs allergens as well as odours. It eliminates VOC’s, harmful gases, chemical toxins, tobacco smoke and also odours.
- UV (Ultra Violet) Filteration. – It has a UV lamp through which microorganisms passes and get destroyed. It also removes airborne particles. Its power depends on the wattage of the UV light and its duration of exposure.
- Ionic Air Purifier: This is the modern way of purifying Air. It captures ultra-fine particles of size up to 0.01 microns. Here it passes a source of negatively charged ions through an ionic generator. Where they attract airborne dust, allergens and other debris. This process will continue until the airborne particle become heavy enough and fall on the floor. Later you can sweep or vacuum them to clean the floor. You can wash them so no need to replace the filters frequently. These purifiers are quite affordable but generate ozone as a byproduct.
- Ozone Air Purifier. – Ozone protects the earth atmosphere from the harmful Ultraviolet Rays from the Sun. While on home an Ozone air purifier kills the mould and removes the bad odour. But ozone oxidises anything in contact. So it is a danger for our small indoor animals as well as it rusts the iron. Ozone purifiers are ideal only for emergency purposes or for commercial reasons.
Know your indoor level of pollution. When the Air Purifier is mandatory?
It is not always mandatory to install an Air purifier. If you are living close to nature, forest or a village where the air quality is good. Then you no need to install any Air purifier.
- In Metros, Big cities where there are industrialisation and heavy air pollution.
- Areas where the Air Quality Index is poor. You can check realtime AQI of your city here.
- Frequently using incense stick, mosquito coils and also indoor smoking.
- If you are suffering from seasonal allergies, serious asthmatic conditions.
- Also, it is advisable if you have a pregnant lady, newborn babies in the house.
- If you have pets in the house.
- House renovation or using harmful hard cleaners as well as chemicals.
Factors Before Buying The Best Air Purifier in India
- Purpose of Air Purifier. – You should first decide your need as well as purposes before selecting an air purifier. For home and offices, you need a HEPA carbon filter air purifier. In case if any of your family members have allergies or asthma. You should buy a high-efficient air purifier. So you should read the features before purchasing any purifier.
- Size of Air Purifier – You should always buy an air purifier as per your room size. If you are purchasing a big purifier then it will waste your money as well as energy. While a small capacity air purifier will not clean the air effectively. You should first measure your room and then buy the best Air purifier in India.
- Type of Filtration- We already discussed types of technologies as well as filtration used in Air Purifier above. You should choose an Air purifier with HEPA technology with a carbon filter.
- Air-exchange rate – It is the amount of air passing through an air purifier in 60 seconds. An air purifier with higher air exchange rate will clean the air faster.
- Filter change notification. – An air purifier will only work effectively when its filters are clean. You should either clean or change the filters from time to time. Most of advance Air purifier will notify you when to clean the filters.
- ACH (Air Changes Per Hour) – This is the important factors to consider while buying an Air purifier. It is the number of purification cycle completed by an Air purifier in an hour. It is the number of times an air purifier cleans the room in one hour. So an air purifier with 6ACH means it will purify the room every 10 minutes.
CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) -
It gives the idea about how effectively an air purifier cleans a room. In general term CADR rating indicates how fast an air purifier can clean the air within a room.
for example – An Air purifier with CADR of 300cfm will clean a room of size 300 sqft faster than a CADR with 200cfm. So a purifier with a higher CADR means higher filtration capacity. The CADR rating measured in CFM (cubic feet per minute) or m³/hour.
AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers) gives CADR ratings for Air Purifier. The manufacturer enrolled for AHAM test gets certification with CADR ratings. CADR rating measures three types of pollutants (Dust, Tobacco smoke and also Pollen).
Frequently Asked Questions
Its depends upon the indoor air quality of your house. If the air quality of your area is good then you no need to install an air purifier. Please refer to this section above to know about your need.
You should place your air purifier in that room, where you spend most of your time. Also, make sure there should not be any obstruction in the airflow.
Yes, you can open the windows while air purifier is running. But, you close the windows and doors then it will purify quickly. Because external pollutants will not enter inside the room.
It depends on indoor air quality. You should replace the filter annually for best performance. But, in case of poor air quality like Delhi, you may need to replace it early. Most of the Air purifier will notify you about the change of filter.
If you have a larger space to cover then you need to run air purifier for a longer time. While the smaller room will take less time to clean. You should run the air purifier at some regular intervals for the best result. If the air purifier has an AQI indicator then it will give you an idea when to run it.
Please read more about Air Quality Index here.
Normally there are no side effects of an Air purifier. But, some air purifier emits Ozone in a small amount. Inhaling ozone can irritate the lungs. It may cause throat irritation, coughing, chest pain as well as shortness of breath. It is always preferable to buy HEPA with Carbon filtration in the Air purifier.
The HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air filter. It can remove up to 99.9% of PM2.5 impurities. It also removes H1N1 viruses, bacteria & toxins. The only constraints, it will not remove foul odours. For removing bad odours you need extra carbon activated filter.
You should prefer an air purifier at least with 3 stage purification. It must have pre-filter, activated carbon filter as well as HEPA filters. Apart from this, you can also go for extra UV filters.
An air purifier captures the polluted air and then releases the clean air. It uses a fan to move the air so it may make noise. Although there are settings to reduce the noise levels. Also if you reduce the fan speed it will cut the noise level. For sleeping, there is night mode in an air purifier.
Final Words –
With increasing urbanization and pollutants in the air. An air purifier becomes a necessity rather than a luxury today. As per research sometime, the indoor air is more polluted than the outdoor air. Please refer to this article for Air pollution and its hazardous effect of indoor pollution.
An air purifier cleans indoor air & removes harmful gases as well as pollutants. But you should follow these best practices to lower the indoor pollution.
Thank you for visiting this article, please write to us here about the feedback as well as for queries. We will try our best to resolve any of your queries.